Early Orthodontic Treatment in Boca Raton and Wellington
According to the American Association of Orthodontics, kids should have an initial orthodontic screening at 7 years old. What makes early evaluation — and potentially, early treatment — so important?
When it comes to your child’s teeth, earlier may be better than later for orthodontic treatment. Many of the problems we have with our jaw and teeth alignment are present from birth, and the sooner those problems can be intercepted and fixed, the better. Learn more about early orthodontic treatment from our interceptive orthodontics experts!
What Is the Purpose of Early Orthodontic Treatment?
What Are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment?
- Prevents future dental trauma and issues
- Corrects any alignment or bite issues
- Saves time and money on future treatment or corrective surgery
- Improves overall tooth and gum health
- Helps eliminate or reduce any speech or breathing problems
- Intercepts any developing problems before they can get worse, especially jaw-related issues like overbite or underbite
- Improves overall facial appearance, symmetry, and stability
- Improves your child’s self-confidence and self-esteem
What Problems Does Early Orthodontic Treatment Address?
- Severe Crossbite. This is a condition where many or all of the upper teeth close inside the lower teeth. To treat this problem, a palatal expander can be used, which gradually and painlessly widens your child’s upper jaw. This is especially effective when the jaw itself hasn’t fully developed. If you wait too long, a more complicated treatment might be required to correct the problem, which includes oral surgery.
- Severe Crowding. This occurs when the jaws are too small to accommodate all of the child’s permanent teeth. Either palatal expansion or tooth extraction may be recommended at this point to help the adult teeth come in properly. Even if braces are required later, the treatment time will likely be shorter and less complicated.
- Protruding Teeth. This is a condition where teeth protrude in an forward angle outside of your child’s mouth. These teeth are particularly prone to chipping and fractures. They may also lead to problems with your child’s self-image.
- Severe Underbite. This is caused by the lower jaw growing much larger than the upper jaw. It can result in serious bite problems for your child, affecting speech and eating habits.
Is My Child a Candidate for Phase 1 Orthodontic Treatment?
Building Radiant Smiles From the Start With Early Orthodontic Treatment
Our specialists and staff at Santelli Orthodontics strive to give you and your child a comfortable, welcoming experience every time you visit us. We want you to walk in and out of our office with a smile! If you’re concerned about your child’s teeth or want some guidance on their dental health, we’re here for you.
Plus, you never have to take off work or pull your child out of school to get them the early orthodontic treatment they need. We’re open until 7:00 PM every weekday. Schedule an appointment with Santelli Orthodontics in Boca Raton or Wellington today!